The Best 4 Ceiling Mounted Overhead Racks for Garage Storage
A comprehensive overview of the four most favorable ceiling-mounted overhead racks.
We earn a small commission when you buy through links. Learn More
Need more storage space for your garage? It’s always possible if you haven’t already got an overhead rack installed within your garage. This unconventional storage solution has become more and more prominent in modern homes. It allows the homeowner to store items they once didn’t have room for in a simple, manageable, and unique way.
There are tons of different ceiling storage systems you can opt-in for. To make this easier, see the below comprehensive overview of the four most favorable ceiling-mounted racks.
1. Fleximounts 4×8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack
The first and most recognizable brand of overhead storage racks is Fleximounts. Since the first concept of overhead storage solution, this company has been around, and it shows in their products. Although this system is a little more expensive than the rest on this list, the overall quality and sturdiness you acquire from this rack make it worth it.
To back the above statement, you’re able to see the stats on their Amazon account. They have over 6,000+ 5-star reviews from just this listing alone, and this doesn’t account for their other products. It goes without saying that Fleximounts is a great company and something you should be considering if a 4 x 8-foot ceiling rack can fit in your garage.
- All Fleximounts products have superb customer reviews, with 5,000+ 5-star reviews just on this product
- They give you before purchase advice to ensure your garage is adequate for an overhead racking unit
- You can store both vertically and horizontally with added accessories
- It’s one of the more expensive racking systems you can purchase for your garage
- If you’re purchasing one of the bigger ceiling racks, you’ll need to plan ahead of time to ensure it fits
- The bigger systems require more than one person to install
- Come equipped with a wire deck and frame of Fleximounts to allows for more versatility and sturdiness.
- Their trademarked Fleximounts allow users to store vertically as well as horizontally, increasing storage capacity even further.
- This overhead garage storage rack can be found in an array of sizes: 3” x 6”, 4” x 6”, 3” x 8”, 4” x 8”, and 4” x 8”, to accompany all garages.
2. MonsterRax 4×8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack
The second overhead storage we wanted to mention is this 4 x 8-foot rack from MonsterRax. This rack solution is exceptionally similar to the above and comes with similar benefits. Along with the benefits, you can also purchase additional MonsterRax accessories, which help increases storage versatility. With these accessories, they’ll allow you to store vertically as well as horizontally.
However, this storage system does have one major downfall, and that’s the price. In all honestly, we believe that the above Fleximounts options are much better value for money. Although this costs more, it comes with fewer support beams and design options. Therefore, unless you’re familiar with the MonsterRax brand, I’d recommend the above.
- It can be purchased in two colorways to suit different garages: white and hammerstone
- You’re able to purchase extra parts to increase the versatility of the rack
- The rack itself can hold upwards of 500 pounds of weight
- It only comes with support beams on either side of the rack, and a middle one would make it sturdier
- Extremely expensive considering the other options available
- Not suitable for most garages because of the sheer size
- Completely customizable height to store an array of items, this adjustment is between 12 and 45 inches.
- You’re able to purchase additional extras to increase storage efficiency and capacity, such as hooks, etc.
- This 4×8 foot overhead storage solution can drop 45” below the ceiling, providing 120 cubic feet of storage.
3. HyLoft 00625 Overhead Storage System
This next solution from HyLoft is really for homeowners who don’t have a huge amount of ceiling space in their garage. Although they have various sizes, you’re able to opt-in for smaller systems. On this list, the HyLoft 00625 is the cheapest option by a mile. However, cheap doesn’t mean better in all circumstances.
The storage system and price are great value for money. But something we’d be cautious about is the recommended load amount of 250lbs. HyLoft mentions its weight tested, but it isn’t easy to believe after looking at the ceiling connections.
Apart from that, it’s a well-rounded option. You can purchase various sizes, adjust the height, and it’s affordable, making it a superb solution for homeowners who don’t want to invest in storage heavily.
- Includes all hardware needed to install the system
- With all HyLoft overhead storage systems, you’re able to change their height
- They offer an abundance of different sizes for different size garages
- Some (not all) people have mentioned it doesn’t hold the 250 lbs they suggest
- Only available in one color, which is hammerstone
- Very small fixing points to the ceiling, which seems unsettling
- It’s a cheap, effective, and robust overhead storage system which can be installed in most garages.
- They offer an array of different sizes to ensure everyone can invest in a ceiling rack: these include 27” x 36”, 36″ x 36″, 45″ x 45″, 60″ x 45″, 96″ x 48″.
- All systems have adjustable height, allowing you to store an array of different-sized items.
4. SafeRacks 4×8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack – Heavy Duty
A monster of a ceiling racking system is this one by SafeRacks. If you’re looking for large ceiling solutions, then SafeRacks heavy-duty storage rack is something you want to pay attention to. You can purchase this rack in two large sizes of 18” by 33” or 24” by 45”, which is enormous. Along with this huge racking system, you also obtain a weight capacity of 600 lbs.
Additionally with the above, you get an array of different available accessories, which ultimately increase the overall versatility of the rack. For instance, you’re able to hang bikes from their front wheel, sports equipment, and various other hangable goods.
The system is simple to install with all of the above benefits, and SafeRacks suggests it’ll only take around ten minutes to assemble. For any novice, beginner, or avid DIYer to have a simple installation, it’s a dream.
- It comes in two different color options, allowing you not to ruin the aesthetics of your garage
- The racking unit can store a substantial amount, up to 600 lbs
- Only has connections on either side of the racking system. A middle section would make it much more robust
- Many people believe that the product is poorly described on the Amazon listing
- Unlike other overhead racking systems, SafeRacks uses a C-Channel for additional strength.
- You’re able to install this system within 10 minutes of unboxing.
- It can be used to store goods both horizontally and vertically (if you have the appropriate fixings).
As you can see, there’s an array of different ceiling racks you can opt-in for in your garage. Some may be more beneficial than others, but it all comes down to your personal requirements. Before purchasing, always measure the available ceiling space you have in your garage, as this will dramatically decrease the options you have. Needless to say, if one of the above options seems suitable for your garage type, all have excellent reviews and are highly trustworthy.
If you are looking for other solutions to increase your garage storage space, do not forget to check our garage shelving reviews.
What Are Overhead Ceiling Racks for Garage Storage?
Overhead ceiling racks are a unique storage solution, as they’re required to be attached to the ceiling of your garage. By doing this, you’ll increase your available storage space exponentially because you’re utilizing space that isn’t normally used. They’re affordable, easy to install, and don’t require you to be DIY savvy, making them the perfect additional storage solution.
Where to locate overhead storage racks in a garage?
Primarily, an overhead storage rack will be located on the ceiling of a garage. This location can be suitable for the rack. However, many people install them within the space between the garage door and ceiling. This allows you to store above the garage door and have other storage units around the garage perimeter.
What Are the Benefits of Overhead Garage Storage Racks?
There’s an abundance of different benefits you’ll receive when installing an overhead garage storage rack. Here’s some you could expect:
Expand storage room – You’ll be utilizing space that isn’t conventionally used within a home, which will dramatically increase your storage room.
Unconventional storage – If you install your overhead storage rack above your garage door, you’ll be maximizing your potential storage capacity.
Simple to install – Most (not all) ceiling-mounted storage racks are simple to install. However, some may require more than one person, depending on the total size.
How Much Do Overhead Garage Storage Racks Cost?
The answer to this question really depends on how big your overhead racking solution will be. However, this could be anywhere between $80 to $250+. If you’re considering additional racking features to store items vertically, you’ll need to account for extra costs.